Media Lario designs and manufactures mirrors for Space Telescopes. The optical systems of the telescopes are often characterized by the need for light-weight, uniquely shaped mirrors with demanding optical performance. Media Lario has developed technologies for this application including our patented electro-formed mirror process where mirror structures are characterized by their thinness, light weight and high strength.
Our experience in Space Telescopes spans 3 decades:
- eXTP for CAS
- Einstein Probe for CAS, ESA
- ATHENA for ESA
- eROSITA for MPE – Launching June 2019!
- XMM Newton for ESA
- JET-X / SWIFT for NASA
- Beppo SAX for ASI
Large Terrestrial Telescopes
Media Lario designs and manufactures glass and metallic mirrored panels for large terrestrial telescopes using a laminated structure process in combination with our unique and patented electron-forming process. Typical shape accuracy required is to be within 10 µm (millionths of a meter) over a 2 m² surface. Because of the size of the structures, weight is also a factor and our panels achieve a 10 kg per m² weight density.
Our experience in large terrestrial telescopes includes:
- Cherenkov Telescope Array - SST-2M (INAF) and CTA MST (DESY)
- Large Millimeter Telescope (LMT) - Mexico (INAOE)
- Cherenkov Telescope Array - MAGIC I, II (UCLA)
- ALMA Telescope Array - Atacama, Chile (ESO)
- IRAM Telescope - Plateau de Bure